Saturday, April 25, 2009

Must nap after food orgasm...

Just a quick post about a food orgasm I just had.  My aunt Margie is in town and whenever she comes to visit, I always get to do something fancy and different.  This visit we decided to go to the Wilmington Tea Room.  Dear lord, it's been an hour and my mouth is still chanting: thank you, thank you, thank you....

We started with a pot of Raspberry Tea with delicious cream and little sugar cubes in fancy china tea cups (I love those little sugar cubes, what is it about square shaped sugar that seems so fancy? I felt like the queen dropping my little cubes in my tea with tiny sugar tongs.)  Then we had a choice of an asian salad or seafood bisque.  I, of course, had both.  Both were phenomenal.  You can just never wrong with a bisque soup.  Totally delicious.  I think the asian salad was pretty simple with romaine, cranberries, almonds, mandarin oranges, and little crunchy noodles.  It had a light soy sauce vinaigrette that I am going to try and make.  

So next arrives the triple decker tray with fruit scones, finger sandwiches, and little sweet cakes on top.  The scones came with devonshire cream (like a really rich whipped heavy cream) and fruit preserves.  I took one bit of the scone topped with cream and preserves and I actually had to sit back in my chair and close my eyes it was so good.    Sigh....bliss...

Tea was fabulous, food was fabulous...just the whole experience of eating and being fancy for a little while.  Why does everything taste so good in miniature form?  

Anyway, so this isn't about cooking, but dammit, if we are going to eat out, it should be worth it.  Now, must figure out how to make fabulous scones at home....

No comments:

Post a Comment