Saturday, April 18, 2009

ACHEW!

[item image]

Well, I'm not going to make it to the LLL Conference for the Eat@Mom's presentation.  I thought I 'd spare all those mamas and babes the extra sneeze.  I guess all the stress from taxes (mine & work) left behind a little bug, sore throat, popping ears, sinus congestion, BLAHHHH! Instead, I've been rootin' around in my kitchen lookin' for a cure.  And here's what I found.

In the freezer I found a homemade chicken stock combined with a broccoli puree, a little lazy concoction I threw together late one night, there's about 6 cups.  In the fridge I pulled out some kale and carrots, and added the carnival squash I've been holding on to for awhile, along with lots of mucous mending onions and garlic.  Oh!  And I can't forget 2 handfuls of green beans.  I love green beans.  All of these beautiful veggies coming from our organic produce co-op.  I then quartered these beauts' with 2 homegrown tomatoes from Grammy's garden, placed them gently on a baking sheet and drizzled olive oil all over them, a pinch of salt 
& pepper and roasted them in the oven @400 degrees for about 45 mins.

Once nicely roasted I cut the carrots, squash & green beans into bite size pieces and set them aside.  Then I placed the garlic, tomatoes, and onion in my magic bullet, another love of mine, a food processor will do, combine till almost smooth.  I then put a 1/2 cup of my broth onto the baking sheet to scrape all those yummy brown bits up and added this and the remaining broth into a large pot with chopped kale, thyme, and 1 bay leaf.  Bring to a boil and simmer 15-20 mins.  I then added my carrots, squash, & green beans and continued simmering another 10-15 mins.  Add salt & pepper as needed.  And wahlah!  My delicious healthy snot cure!  I am now ready for a full recovery!  I love food!


        Cheri



No comments:

Post a Comment