Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Quick and Easy Dinner

I have been feeling very pressed for time lately. Seems like 4:30 comes around so quickly each day and I am suddenly staring at blankly at the refrigerator with no ideas and two rapidly falling apart children behind alternately squabbling and me asking for bowls of cereal. Last night I found myself in this predicament and came up with a really quick dinner to throw together in no time. I think it was the culmination of a few food related things going on right now.
First, I have been feeling very lazy and remembering to thaw out meat earlier in the day just doesn't happen lately. Second, we have been doing a weekly potluck with several friends every Sunday for a couple of months now. One of the couples is vegetarian, so everyone usually tends to bring a veggie meal (against the protests of the veg couple.) This has motivated me to look for creative vegetarian dishes and also to look for other sources of protein. We have long been bean eaters, but beans alone can be pretty boring.
Lastly, I recently bit the bullet and joined our local organic produce CSA. It is a little farm called Black River organics. We get a box a week and it is based on what is producing at the farm right now. And what they are growing is LOTS of greens. Hello, salad with every meal.
So that is how our food consumption is shaping up these days. Here's the little dinner I whipped up last night. Quick, easy, nutritious. Kids loved it. Viola, dinner is served.


Psuedo Huevoes Rancheros
Can o' black beans, add 1 packet Sazon seasoning, 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
pack of safron rice
eggs
cheese
salsa, hot sauce
salad

Whip all these together, sit at the table, and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment